Assessment of Anaemic Children Visited in OPD of Department of Paediatrics in a Tertiary Care Hospital of Western UP

Assessment of Anaemic Children

  • Monica Agarwal Assistant Professor, Department of Paediatrics, Rajshree Medical Research Institute & Hospital, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh, India.
Keywords: Anaemia, Paediatric, Prevalence

Abstract

Background: Anemia is accompanied by a reduction in quantity of red blood cells, often along with decreased hemoglobin levels or altered red blood cell morphology. Hence; present study was planned to assess the paediatric patients diagnosed with anaemia. Subjects and Methods: A total of 50 paediatric subjects were included in the present study. Only those subjects were included in the present study in which confirmed diagnosis of anemia was obtained after haematological examination. Detailed clinical details and demographic data of all the subjects were obtained. A self-framed questionnaire was used for obtaining the details of past medical history and family history of all the subjects. All the results were compiled and analysed by SPSS software. Results: Majority of them (64 percent) were females while the remaining 36 percent were males. Significant results were obtained while assessing the gender-wise distribution of anaemic patients. Positive family history of anaemic was found to be present in 36 percent of the patients. 70 percent of the patients of the present study had rural residence, while the remaining 30 percent had urban residence. Gastroenteritis was the most common associated diagnosis found to be present in 30 percent of the patient population. Conclusion: Anemia is a common worldwide hazard affecting significant portion of paediatric population. Higher prevalence of anaemia is seen among females with associated gastric manifestations.

Published
2019-06-29
How to Cite
Agarwal, M. (2019). Assessment of Anaemic Children Visited in OPD of Department of Paediatrics in a Tertiary Care Hospital of Western UP. Asian Journal of Clinical Pediatrics and Neonatology, 7(2), 34-36. https://doi.org/10.21276/ajcpn.2019.7.2.9
Section
Articles