Jul-Dec 2016 | Vol 2 | Issue 2 | Page :7-10
Raafat A Hegazy1, Abdelmonem A Hegazy2,Salah F Alsayed3,Elsayed E Ammar4
1Pathology Department, Faculty of Medicine, Zagazig University, Zagazig 44519, Egypt.
2Anatomy and Embryology Department, Faculty of Medicine, Zagazig University, Zagazig 44519, Egypt.
3Internal Medicine Department, Faculty of Medicine, Zagazig University, Zagazig 44519, Egypt.
4General Surgery Department, Kaleemullah Hospital, San-Alhagar, Zagazig 44519, Egypt.
This is a report of a rare case of benign mucinous cystadenoma of the spleen. The case was preceded by a benign mucinous cystadenoma of the ovary 10 years before, accompanied by pseudomyxoma peritonei. The pancreas and peritoneum were free. The spleen showed multilocular cystic mass with smooth inner surface and profuse insipissated mucus. Microscopically, no papillary structure was found on the inner surface of cystic space which was lined by a single layer of mucin-producing epithelial cells without malignant change. The cause of such rare case remains unclear. It is suggested that it may be a part of syndrome of multiple mucin producing cysts, like that of mucoviscidosis.
Keywords:Brachial plexSpleen, Cystadenoma, Mucinous, Benign.
- Morgenstern L, Rosenberg J, Geller SA. Tumors of the spleen. World J Surg. 1985; 9(3): 468-476.
- Kruslin B. Pseudomyxoma peritonei associated with mucinous epithelial cysts of the spleen. Lijec Vjesn. 2001;123(5-6):154.
- Morinaga S, Ohyama R, Koizumi J. Low-grade mucinous cystadenocarcinoma in the spleen. Am J Surg Pathol. 1992; 16(9): 903-908.
- Nisar PJ, Zaitoun AM, Lobo DN, Rowlands BJ. Heterotopic pancreas in the spleen: malignant degeneration to mucinous cystadeno carcinoma. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2002; 14(7): 793-796.
- Dedic N, Premuzic M, Cavka S, Ostojic R, Hrstic I, Vucelic B. Pseudomyxoma peritonei associated with splenic mucinous epithelial cysts--case report. Lijec Vjesn. 2000; 122(11-12):272-275.
- Kapoor S, Naik S, Sharma S, Varshney S. Pseudomyxoma peritonei due to a ruptured mucinous cystadenoma of the spleen. European Surgery. 2007; 39 (5):314-316.
- Hirota M, Hayashi N, Tomioka T, Murakami S, Ohshima H, Yamasaki K, Miyamoto J, Tamiya S, Ogawa M. Mucinous cystadeno carcinoma of the spleen presenting a point mutation of the Kirsten-ras oncogene at codon 12. Dig Dis Sci. 1999; 44(4): 768-774.
- Singh O, Gupta S, Shukla S, Mathur RK: Case report: A rare case of primary mucinous cystadenoma of spleen. J Clin Med Res. 2009;1(4):237-239.
- Giovagnoni A, Giorgi C, and Goteri G: Tumours of the spleen. Cancer Imaging. 2005; 5(1): 73–77
- Zanetti G, Riccioni L, Gallo C, Salfi N, Martinelli GN. Splenic mucinous cystadeno carcinoma arising in heterotopic pancreatic tissue. Tumori. 1998;84(5):606-610.