July - December 2016 | Vol 1 | Issue 1 | Page : 10-14
Dilsen Ornek1, Cihan Doger3, Kadriye Kahveci2, Kemal Oskay4, İsmail Aytaç1, Aysun Postacı1,Semih Başkan1, Kaan Aktaş5, Serkan Gökkaya5
1 Ankara Numune Training and Research Hospital, Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Ankara, Turkey.
2 Ulus State Hospital, Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Ankara, Turkey.
3 Ankara Ataturk Training and Research Hospital, Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Ankara, Turkey.
4 Gazi Mustafa Kemal State Hospital, Department of Urology, Ankara, Turkey.
5Ankara Numune Training and Research Hospital, Department of Urology, Ankara, Turkey
Background: The study aims to compare bipolar PlasmaKinetic with monopolar transurethral resection of prostate (TURP) in terms of TUR syndrome and the amount of blood loss. Methods: We retrospectively investigated the medical records of fifty-five patients who underwent monopolar TURP (Group M, n=30) or bipolar PlasmaKinetic TURP (Group PK, n=25). Symptoms or signs of TUR syndrome, changes in hemoglobin, hematocrit, platelet, serum sodium, serum potassium and fasting blood glucose were compared between both groups. Results: Patient’s characteristics, the amount of irrigation fluid and operation time were comparable between the two groups. After the operation, hemoglobin values in group PK were higher than in group M (13.59±1.55 gr/dL vs. 12.25±1.6 gr/dL; P<0.05). Serum sodium in Group M decreased significantly after the operation (baseline 138.1±5.54 mEq/L vs. postoperative 133.87±8.26 mEq/L; P<0.05). TUR syndrome was diagnosed in 3 patients in Group M whereas it was not observed any of the patients in Group PK. Length of hospital stay were found significantly higher in Group M than in the group PK. Conclusion: Bipolar plasmaKinetic TURP is a safe method that provides less risk of TUR syndrome, shorter hospital stay, and less bleeding.
Keywords: Cautery, Prostate, Transurethral resection of prostate.
- Gravenstein D. Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) syndrome: a review of the pathophysiology and management. Anesth Analg 1997; 84: 438-46.
- Reich O, Gratzke C, Bachmann A, Seitz M, Schlenker B, Hermanek P, et al. Urology Section of the Bavarian Working Group for Quality Assurance: Morbdity, mortality and early outcome of transurethral resection of the prostate: Aprospective multicenter evaluation of 10654 patients. J Urol 2008;180(1): 246–9.
- Zepnick H, Steinbach F, Schuster F. Value of transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) for treatment of symptomatic benign prostatic obstruction (BPO): an analysis of efficiency and complications in 1015 cases. Aktuelle Urol 2008;39(5): 369-72.
- Homma Y, Gotoh M, Yokoyama O, Masumori N, Kawauchi A, Yamanishi T, et al. Japanese Urological Association. Outline of JUA clinical guidelines for benign prostatic hyperplasia. Int J Urol 2011;18(11): 741-56.
- Issa MM. Technological advances in transurethral resection of the prostate: bipolar versus monopolar TURP. J Endourol 2008; 22: 1587-95.
- Kuntz RM, Lehrich K, Ahyai SA. Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate versus open prostatectomy for prostates greater than 100 grams: 5-year follow-up results of a randomised clinical trial. Eur Urol 2008; 53(1): 160-166.
- Rassweiler J, Teber D, Kuntz R, Hofmann R. Complications of transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP)--incidence, management, and prevention. Eur Urol 2006; 50(5): 969-980.
- Reich O, Gratzke C, Stief CG. Techniques and long-term results of surgical procedures for BPH. Eur Urol 2006; 49(6): 970-978.
- Starkman JS, Santucci RA. Comparison of bipolar transurethral resection of the prostate with standard transurethral prostatectomy: shorter stay, earlier catheter removal and fewer complications. BJU Int 2005; 95(1): 69-71.
- Lynch M, Sriprasad S, Subramonian K, Thompson P. Postoperative haemorrhage following transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) and photoselective vaporisation of the prostate (PVP). Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2010; 92(7): 555-558.
- Singh H, Desai MR, Shrivastav P, Vani K. Bipolar versus monopolar transurethral resection of prostate: randomized controlled study. J J Endourol 2005; 19(3): 333-338.
- Mamoulakis C, Ubbink DT, de la Rosette JJ. Bipolar versus monopolar transurethral resection of the prostate: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Eur Urol 2009; 56(5): 798-809.
- Iori F, Franco G, Leonardo C, Laurenti C, Tubaro A, D-Amico F, et al. Bipolar transurethral resection of prostate: clinical and urodynamic evaluation. Urology 2008; 71(2): 252-255.
- Michielsen DP, Debacker T, De Boe V, Van Lersberghe C, Kaufman L, Braeckman JG, et al. Bipolar transurethral resection in saline--an alternative surgical treatment for bladder outlet obstruction? J Urol 2007; 178(5): 2035-2039.
- Ho HS, Yip SK, Lim KB, Fook S, Foo KT, Cheng CW. A prospective randomized study comparing monopolar and bipolar transurethral resection of prostate using transurethral resection in saline (TURIS) system. Eur Urol 2007;52: 517-22.
- Zhu G, Xie C, Wang X, Tang X. Bipolar plasmakinetic transurethral resection of prostate in 132 consecutive patients with large gland: three-year follow-up results. Urology 2012; 79(2): 397-402.
- Autorino R, Damiano R, Di Lorenzo G, Quarto G, Perdonà S, D'Armiento M, et al. Four-year outcome of a prospective randomised trial comparing bipolar plasmakinetic and monopolar transurethral resection of the prostate. Eur Urol 2009; 55(4): 922-929.
- Patankar S, Jamkar A, Dobhada S, Gorde. PlasmaKinetic Superpulse transurethral resection versus conventional transurethral resection of prostate. J Endourol 2006; 20(3): 215-219.
- Michielsen DP, Coomans D, Van Lersberghe C, Braeckman JG. Comparison of the haemostatic properties of conventional monopolar and bipolar transurethral resection of the prostate in patients on oral anticoagulants. Arch Med Sci 2011;7:858-63.
- Yousef AA, Suliman GA, Elashry OM, Elsharaby MD, Elgamasy Ael-N. A randomized comparison between three types of irrigating fluids during transurethral resection in benign prostatic hyperplasia. BMC Anesthesiol 2010;28;10:7.
- Xie CY, Zhu GB, Wang XH, Liu XB. Five-year follow-up results of a randomized controlled trial comparing bipolar plasmakinetic and monopolar transurethral resection of the prostate. Yonsei Med J 2012; 53(4): 734-741.
- Yoon CJ, Kim JY, Moon KH, Jung HC, Park TC. Transurethral resection of the prostate with a bipolar tissue management system compared to conventional monopolar resectoscope: one-year outcome. Yonsei Med J 2006;47: 715–20.
- Seckiner I, Yesilli C, Akduman B, Altan K, Mungan NA. A prospective randomized study for comparing bipolar plasmakinetic resection of the prostate with standard TURP. Urol Int 2006;76:139–43.