January-June 2017 | Vol 2 | Issue 1 | Page :9-11
Soubhagya Kumar Das1, Jyoshna Mishra2, Shree Nanda3, Hari Krishna Dalai4
1Senior Resident, Department of Anaesthesiology, MKCGMC, Berhampur. 2Assistant Professor, Department of Anaesthesiology, MKCGMC, Berhampur 3Associate Professor, Department of Anaesthesiology, MKCGMC, Berhampur 4Professor, Department of Anaesthesiology, SLNMC, Koraput.
A young girl presented with a tumour of the maxilla that had deformed her facial features and dentition and also affected her normal breathing. Preoperative airway assessment indicated not only probability of difficulty in intubating the trachea, but also inability to ventilate through the face mask. In spite of unavailability of sophisticated instruments, the airway could be secured with judicious planning and preparations.
Keywords: Maxillary tumour, Facial deformity, Anticipated difficult ventilation and difficult intubation.
- Sunanda Gupta, KR Rajesh Sharma, Dimpel Jain. Airway Assessment: Predictors of Difficult Airway. Indian Journal of Anaesthesia 2005; 49(4): 257-262.
- Rashid M Khan.Airway management made easy.Paras Medical Publisher.Hyderabad, New Delhi. 3rd Ed, 2009, Chapter 4, pg 15-35.
- Anesthesiologist’s manual of surgical procedures. Publisher – Wolters Kluwer Health, Philadelphia,2014, Editors- Richard A. Jaffe, Clifford A. Schmiesing and Brenda Golianu, 5th edition, Pg178-179.
- Ronald D Miller et al, editors. Miller’s anesthesia, 8th edition. International edition. Elsevier Saunders. Philadelphia. 2015. pg 2523-2524.
- Rashid M Khan.Airway management made easy.Paras Medical Publisher.Hyderabad, New Delhi. 3rd Ed, 2009, Chapter 3, pg 10-12.
- NU Sathe,A Bhatia et al. A rare case of Adenomatoid Odontogenic Tumor. Odisha Journal of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery Jan-Jun 2014; 8(1): 30-33.
- S Swain, Sarath G. Dentigerous cyst of Bilateral Maxillary Canines in a young child. Odisha Journal of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery Jul-Dec 2014; 8(11): 41-44.
- Lee’s synopsis of Anaesthsia, 13th edition. Edited by NJH Davies, JN Cashman. Butterworth-Heineman 2006. pg 204-206.
- John F Butterworth IV, David C Mackey, John D Wasnik, editors. Morgan & Mikhail’s Clinical Anaesthesiology. 4th edition. McGraw-Hill companies. 2006.
- Lee’s synopsis of Anaesthsia, 13th edition. Edited by NJH Davies, JN Cashman. Butterworth-Heineman 2006. pg 699.
- Kanupriya Kumar, Ira Lehrer, Ankit Patel. The Airway. In Eugenie Heitmiller, Deborah Schwengel, editors. John Hopkins Anaesthesiology Handbook. 1st edition. Mosby ; 2009.
- AP Kulkarni, JV Divatia et al, editors. Objective Anaesthesia Review.3rd edition. Jaypee. 2013.
- Jeremy Windsor, Jane Lockie. Anaesthesia and dental trauma. Anaesthesia And Intensive Care Medicine August 2011;12(8): 351-353.
- JP Stella, WV Kageler, BN Epker. Fiberoptic endotracheal intubation in oral and faciomaxillary surgery. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 1986; 44(11): 923-925.
- MCZ Deboni, MA Brozoski, et al. Surgical management of dentigerous cyst and keratocystic odontogenic tumor in children: a conservative approach and 7-year follow-up. J Appl Oral Sci. 2012 Mar-Apr; 20(2): 282-285.
- Kadry T, Harvey M, Wallace M, Imrie J. Frova intubating catheter position can be determined with aspirating oesophageal detection device. Emerg Med Australas. 2007 Jun; 19(3): 203-6.