January-June 2017 | Vol 2 | Issue 1 | Page : 5-8
Olatunji Owosanya Orilonise1
1Ekiti State University (EKSU) / Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital, Ado-Ekiti (Eksuth), Nigeria.
Endotracheal intubation in patients with limited mouth opening always remains a challenge, especially in the absence of flexible fibre optic bronchoscope. The retrograde catheter technique is an accepted option for airway management in cases where oral intubation is not possible because of limited mouth opening or not recommended because of fear of dislodgement of fracture segments or facial bones. We performed retrograde nasal intubation in a patient with complicated bilateral mandibular fracture from gunshot injury, using the Cook retrograde intubation set. This procedure was performed on a 51-year-old farmer victim of gunshot injury with communited fracture of the mandible, and consequent limited mouth opening from previous emergency surgery. Difficult airway tray, and the Cook retrograde intubation set was assembled. Retrograde nasal intubation was successfully performed under deep inhalational halothane anesthesia, with preservation of the patient’s respiratory effort, using the Cook retrograde intubation set.
Keywords: Airway Management, Intubation, Mandibular Fractures.
- Robert M McNamara. Retrograde intubation of the trachea. Annals of emergency medicine 1987; 16: 680-682.
- N. Weksler, M. Klein, D. Weksler, C. Sidelnick, I. Chorm, V. Rozentsveig, S. Brill, G. M. Gurman, L. Ovadia. 1st published online; 25/02/2004.
- Borland L. M, Swan D. M, Left S. Difficult paediatric Endotracheal intubation; a new approach to the retrograde technique. Anesthesiology 1981; 55: 577-8.
- Butler F.S., Cirillo A.A. Retrograde tracheal intubation. Anaesth Analg 1960;39:333-8
- Roberts K.W. New use for Swan Ganz introducer wire. Anaesth Analg 1981;60:67
- Thomas J.Gal. Airway Management. In: Miller RD,ed. Miller’s Anesthesia. 6th ed. Indian Edition: Elsevier Churchill Livingstone, 2005: 1644 – 1645.
- R. S .Thota, S. R. Wadke, P. Shoff, L.V. Dewoolkar. Retrograde nasal intubation: In a case of subdural haematoma with mandible fracture. A case report. The internet journal of anesthesiology 2006; 10:2
- Mounir N, Madi A, Trop D. Pulling versus guiding: a modification of retrograde intubation. Can J Anaesthesia 1989; 26: 336-9.
- Bhattacha et al. Retrieval of retrograde catheter using suction in a patient who cannot open their mouth. Br J Anaesth 2004; 92: 888-9.
- B. K Biswas, P. Bhattacharya . Fluoroscope aided retrograde placement of guide wire for tracheal intubation in patients with limited mouth opening. Br J Anaesth 2005; 94: 128-131.
- Arya V. K, Dutta A, Chari P. Difficult retrograde Endotracheal intubation: the utility of a pharyngeal loop. Anaesth Analg 2002; 94: 470-30.
- Lama P.I, Shrestha B.R. Retrograde intubation: An alternative way for the management of difficult airway. Kathmandu University Medical Journal 2008; 6:516-519.
- Francois L, Mehdi B. Comparison of two techniques for retrograde endotracheal intubation in fresh human cadaver. Anesthesiology 2006; 104:48-51.
- Akinyemi O.O. Complications of guided blind endotracheal intubation. Anesthesia 1979; 34:590-2.